Sunday, August 3, 2014

New York Nuns


After the first weekend in New York, I left our Airbnb studio and took a taxi across town to check into the Sacred Heart Residence, my home for the duration of my New York trip.

Sacred Heart is a women's residence. Women of all ages and nationalities can stay here for various lengths of time for work and study while they find their feet in the big city. The Sisters who operate the residence are very sweet although are women of few words. (Also, most of the Sister speak only Spanish and I sadly do not. So although we tried, the lines of communication were not terribly strong)

The building is a beautiful Brownstone in the heart of Chelsea, with cafes, shops and beautiful tree lined streets in the surrounding blocks. It's also right near the Highline, around the corner from the Upright Citizens Brigade (home to many SNL actors), the Joyce Theatre and just a few blocks from the Chelsea Markets.

Most of the women staying at the residence were in New York for creative persuits - many were studying dance, some were artists, and a few were undertaking internships in their fields of study. I made quite a few really lovely friends in the few short weeks that I was at the residence.

The residence didn't quite look like the beautiful pictures on their website, but it was a great location (and very safe), a great opportunity to meet some awesome people from around the world and the perfect place to base myself for this adventure. (The only thing I would change is to bring a kettle with me. Too many nights sneaking cups of tea past the Sisters, up to my room!)
  
Street level entrance to the Sacred Heart residence (the most beautiful old doors 
and decorative screens at the entrance.

The main entrance from the first floor landing. A little run down but I can just
imagine its former life. (I had a quick peek and there were beautiful marble
slabs under the red carpet. Can you imagine how beautiful it was in its day!) 

The first level lounge room.

The street level dining room. This was a great meeting place for the residence
(I thoroughly enjoyed catching up with everyone on the days I could drag myself
out of bed early enough)

The basement level entrance to the laundry (fun to explore the hallways 
and rooms down here but not my favourite place to be at night - daytime 
laundry sessions only!)

Beautiful signage and reminders of the history of the building and the many
lifetimes lived out within these walls. If these walls could talk!

x

No comments: